Saturday, May 27, 2006

Woodall Mtn, MS

Highpoint #2
806 feet ASL

The plan for today was a drive-up summit of Woodall Mountain Mississippi. With the reliability of our car in question (see Florida description), our friends that we were visiting, Kim and Disco Dan Jordan, graciously offered one of their cars for my summit trip. At about 1:00pm, I left Oak Mountain State Park and headed on my way to the highpoint of Mississippi. Unfortunately, I had to travel alone as Dan had to work (although he is interested in getting started on his own journey of hiking the 50 highpoints) and Krisha, Kim, and Zoƫ decided to take a day for rest.

It was a bright and beautiful day with clear skies. The drive was pleasant once I was off the main interstate. As I made my way across the Alabama-Mississippi line, I unfortunately missed my intended exit, which caused me a 15 minute delay. However, I knew I was back on the right path as I saw signs leading to the 806 foot hill.

I started the ascent up the gravel road. I became somewhat worried as my transportation was a 4 cylinder Hyundai Elantra and began to lose power in the loose gravel. But at 4:15pm, the summit was acquired. I pulled to the top and beheld the tall and majestic radio towers. Yeah, the summit is covered with multiple radio towers. There is a NGS survey marker at the top as well, which I always find interesting.

The locals seem to like it, however. Connoisseurs of Nattie Light, Bud Light, and Michelob Ultra visit the top and leave wonderful mementos of their good times. Cigar Aficionado must have had their last retreat up here as a box of premier Swisher Sweets were observed. This summit is also a popular destination for honeymooners as some packets of unmentionables were observed. The one ray of hope for this summit of sin was found in some graffiti (go figure) on a table at the top. It read “Jesus Lives.” Well, Amen to that. At 4:30pm, I had had my fill, so I jumped into the car and descended down this mountain and back to home.






Topo Map

No comments: