Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Spruce Knob, WV

Highpoint #6
4,863 ASL

With my second year of seminary completed, my wife and I made plans to visit home, sweet, home in Good Ole Virginia for the holiday season. Being up there, I thought I would make the most of the trip and visit some highpoints.

Zoe and I got to Virginia first. We drove up with a family from our church bible study. They both had room in their van and were going to the exact place (Harrisonburg) I was going. It was honestly a great blessing from the Lord. So, we arrived in Harrisonburg and I had a few days to visit friends I hadn't seen in a long while. This was great, but Zoe and I had a taste for going high. The highpoint of West Virginia was only an 1 hour and 45 minutes away and we had a car that some other wonderful friends had let us borrow. So, we were off. The drive was very smooth and energy efficient as we traveled in a new Honda hybrid.

The road to the top of the mountain was very good. Most of it was newly paved. The very top of the drive was packed/groomed dirt. There is a very short hike, once you reach the parking lot at the top of the mountain. It was cold and windy, the car's thermometer reading in the low-30s. But for December at 4,000 feet plus, this was not bad at all. Zoe and I went down the short path to a stone summit tower. We climbed the stairs and beheld the view. It was very clear and there is a great 360 degree view.

There were also two cavers that were behind us. We made some small talk. They indicated that the caves were warmer than up here. After a few pictures, Zoe and I found one of the NGS markers. We then followed the 1/2 mile circuit trail around the summit back to the parking lot and headed home.

GPS Data
  • You can download the Google Earth Track file (.kmz) of my drive from Harrisonburg to Spruce Knob here.
  • You can download the GPS Trackpoint file (.gpx) of the drive here.
  • You can download a waypoint file (.gpx) of the Mt. Rogers Route here.
(Note: To download the file, left click on the link and follow the instructions. Right clicking and pressing save as didn't work for me.)

My Route



Spruce Mountain, West Virginia at EveryTrail


Elevation Profile


Topo Maps


No comments: